Did you know that eating clean is an easy way to keep your waistline in check? It can also extend your life and lower the risk of 30% of all cancers.
Easy ways to eat healthy and change your diet for the better are listed below.
- Add more fruits and veggies to your diet. Plant based diets have been shown to lower cholesterol, risk of heart disease and obesity.
- Eat lean meats and fish like chicken, turkey and salmon. Protein helps rebuild muscle from work or workouts and stabilizes blood sugar.
- Eat unsalted nuts to help lower LDL cholesterol. They contain healthy fats which are also great for your skin and hair.
- Eat as much unprocessed food as possible. Pre-made and packaged foods contain high amounts of sodium, preservatives, sugar and additives that are dicey at best. Shop the outer aisles of the grocery store; this is where the healthiest foods are.
- Eat organic when possible. It can cost a lot of money to eat everything organic. Some foods are worse than others when it comes to pesticides. Strawberries, grapes, spinach, apples, tomatoes and potatoes are at the top of this list. Try to buy the above fruits and veggies organic when your wallet allows.
- Drink plenty of filtered water. It fills you up, keeps you hydrated and keeps your kidneys running smoothly.
- Try to limit sugar. Sugar is said to be the cigarettes of this century. Sugar is linked to obesity, diabetes, high triglycerides and it even increases the risk of heart disease.
- Try to limit alcohol. It taxes your liver, has a lot of calories and decreases reaction time and ability to sleep soundly.
You don’t have to be super strict. Just try to eat healthy 80% of the time. Everyone likes to indulge every now and then! And denying yourself your favorite foods is a sure way to fail.
I & O Medical Centers is here when you need us! We’ve got your back.