Hampton Roads is a home to one of the biggest shipyards in the United States and has a substantial amount of contactors fueling the maritime industry. In addition to the maritime industry, the construction industry and logistics industry are big players in our area. Since our clinics service several different industries, we must properly medically survey employees working in them. One common component across all these industries is the need for hazmat surveillance.
Why would your company need hazmat surveillance?
Hazmat surveillance is short for hazardous material surveillance. OSHA states that hazmat surveillance is
- All employees exposed or potentially exposed to hazardous substances or health hazards above permissible exposure limits for more than 30 days per year;
- Workers exposed above the published exposure levels (if there is no permissible exposure limit for these substances) for 30 days or more a year;
- Workers who wear approved respirators for 30 or more days per year on site;
- Workers who are exposed to unexpected or emergency releases of hazardous wastes above exposure limits (without wearing appropriate protective equipment) or who show signs, symptoms, or illness that may have resulted from exposure to hazardous substances;
- Members of hazardous materials (HAZMAT) teams.
Experts in Hazmat Surveillance
Our clinics are experts and extensively trained to provide the best possible hazmat surveillance programs. Dr. Baddar has been providing compliant surveillance programs for 30 years now! With his experience of all industries in the Hampton Roads area, I & O Medical Centers can help keep your company and employees compliant with OHSA surveillance standards.
The most common hazmat surveillance programs our clinics perform are:
- Heavy Metals
- Hexavalent Chromium
- Raw Sewer Exposure
It is extremely important for a company to follow a medical surveillance program for their employees. Not only is it required by OSHA and strictly enforced, but also for the overall health of the employee. With proper hazmat surveillance, I & O Medical Centers can ensure the health of the employee. This doesn’t benefit just the employee either. By following the hazmat surveillance programs and having annual physicals, the employer can help reduce work comp claims and help identify problems before they escalate into something major. Please contact our Client Service Representatives at 757-738-5961 or 757-707-0256 with questions regarding I & O Medical Center’s surveillance programs and protocols.