Worried about your upcoming DOT exam? There are many requirements for passing a DOT Physical. Here are some tips for passing your DOT physical.
Your blood pressure needs to be under control!
- Exercise — this is an easy way to lower blood pressure and reduce stress.
- Do not drink excess alcohol; it raises blood pressure dramatically.
- Quit smoking.
- Reduce sodium in your diet, limit intake of processed foods.
- Cut back on caffeine.
- Eat more fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Do not eat fatty meals for 3 days leading up to your physical.
- Take your blood pressure often.
- If you have diabetes, your blood sugar needs to be in check!
Your diabetes must be under control!
Try the following easy ways to keep control of your blood sugar.
- Exercise — It is a fantastic way to keep your blood sugar levels in a healthy range. You should be doing this as a part of your routine diabetes management.
- Take your medication!
- Go into your exam well hydrated.
- Limit caffeine, cigarettes and alcohol.
- Choose foods that are low in calories, saturated fat, trans fat, sugar and salt. An easy way to do this is to avoid processed food. It often contains hidden sugar and trans fat.
- Eat more fiber. Try eating more whole grains.
- Drink water instead of juice and soda.
- Keep track of your blood sugar.
- See your doctor at least twice a year.
- Maintain a healthy BMI. 25 or under is a healthy body mass index.
Other Tips for Passing Your DOT Physical
- Your vision needs to be 20/40 or better. See your optometrist yearly to keep your vision clear.
- You need to be able to hear a whisper in your better ear from 5 feet away.
- Do not take narcotics.
- Do not take methadone or benzodiazepines.
- Have an annual physical. If you are between the ages of 40-50, you need one every 2 years. If you are over 50, you need an annual physical.
Your doctor is there to help! These are basic tips for passing your DOT physical. For more details of how to prepare before a DOT Physical, read our blog post here. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask one of our fantastic and experienced doctors at I & O Medical.
I & O Medical Centers has got your back!