Knee injuries are one of the most common injuries we see at I & O Medical Centers. Overexertion, overuse, conditions exacerbated by arthritis, slips and falls all can occur while working. I & O Medical Centers goes to great lengths to avoid needless and unnecessary surgeries for treating knee injuries. We are here when you need to feel better fast and get back to work. Here are some tips to prevent knee injuries.
Common Knee Injuries
These are some of the injuries that can happen to the knee. Some of them can leave permanent damage if not treated properly.
- ACL tear
- PCL tear
- meniscus tear
- MCL tear
Tips to Prevent Knee Injuries at Work
Here are a few steps you can take to help prevent injuries on the job…
- Wear proper footwear
- Keep your work space neat and clean so you don’t trip and fall
- Use care when walking over rough terrain
- Use care when walking up stairs
- Remove ice/snow from shoes
- Do not jump from the back of trucks or other objects. Walk or use stairs, ladders, etc.
- Be careful not to twist your knee. This is a quick way to damage the delicate cartilage.
- Do not kneel for extended periods of time
- Use care when lifting heavy objects
Preventing Knee Injuries Through Exercise
Did you know that by strengthening your leg muscles, you can prevent many types of knee injuries? By reinforcing the surrounding muscles, it helps them take the brunt of forces on the knee.
Here are a few easy exercises you can do…
- Single leg extensions
- Straight leg raises
- Prone straight leg raises
- Wall squats
- Calf raises
- Hamstring curls
- Step ups
- Side leg raises
If you suffer from chronic knee pain there are supplements you can take that can help! Turmeric combined with bioperine is a fantastic natural anti inflammatory. Improvement can be seen in as little as 2 weeks. Glucosamine/Chondroitin are also helpful for some people. Ginger is another great anti inflammatory as is bromelain (made from pineapple). These supplements are easily available at your local health food store.
I & O Medical Centers is here when you need us! We’ve got your back. (And your knees!)